|

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Right Me

On Monday afternoon, the goodbyes were swift, no dwelling, nothing prolonged. The chapter on C.C. is not closed. Back at my apartment, the most amazing thought bubble appeared atop my head:

"Oh my god, I don't want to be in a relationship!"

I was shocked at how relieved I was to find myself alone again. I didn't realize how valuable my independence has become to me. Happily, as if I just discovered the key to living life to the fullest, I made a pact: 'Why do I want to be in a relationship in the first place? It just spells out hassle. Most of the time, it's never worth the trouble!'

Two hours later while washing dishes and listening to Jill Scott, I was hit with a wall of silence. It was sudden and strong and it took form in the shape of restlessness (or loneliness - take your pick). I didn't feel invincibly independent anymore. I missed C.C.'s company.

Then, things started making sense.

I realized I want my cake and want to eat it too. I want to feel free, but also want a sense of permanency in a faithful somebody. I want another warm body to share my bed with, and but when things become inconvenient or too crowded for me, I want to be able to discard. I will now admit that I'm not so sure I'm ready to give up the luxuries of singledom. I guess I got used to being a solo act that anything clashing with my routine becomes choking or boxing.

When I meet guys at a bar, it never fails that I get asked why I'm single. And, my reply is "The right one has yet to come along..." It was an honest answer and I believed it. But really, it's only half true. I'm looking for the right one when all this time, I should also have been ensuring that I'm the right me... the me that is willing to sacrifice time and effort. I do want a meaningful relationship, someone to share my life with, and his with mine.

I thought I was ready for a relationship. For now, I want to have fun. As much as I like sex, I can't bring myself to have another one night stand with the next cute guy I meet. Dilemma dilemma.


Link and Think! Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com



hot links
  • 1000 Words
  • 11th Avenue South
  • ...and I am somebody
  • BMW
  • Bob's yer Uncle
  • Boi From Troy
  • Boysbriefs
  • BuckShot Magoo
  • Celestial Blue
  • Chad Fox
  • Chris Afer
  • Corky
  • Cows in the Barn
  • Cunegonde
  • Dan Renzi
  • Epenthesis
  • Evil Machinery
  • For Better or For Worse
  • Gatsby's Ghost
  • the Great Cock Hunt
  • Homer's World
  • Intertextual
  • Kyle's Bed & Breakfast
  • Large Tony
  • Made in Brazil
  • Mad Life
  • Mr Happy Sad
  • Naked Boy Chronicles
  • North of Foster
  • Oh la la Paris
  • Panchesco
  • paTch
  • Queer Georgia Boy
  • Sardonic Bomb
  • Secret Songs
  • Towleroad
  • Trunk Guy
  • Watercolour Boy
  • Watersea
  • Wicked Man
  • Word of Todd
  • Wonder Boy
  • Worldwide Ryan
  • Zeitzeuge


  • not-so-gay blogs
  • Allison Allison
  • Guru Stu
  • My New Bestfriend
  • No Point of Reference
  • Retail Hell
  • Tuna Girl


  • retired/on hiatus
  • Absolut Ringo
  • Addaboy
  • Ajax in the City
  • Apartment 604
  • Apt. 3E
  • Bald Sarcasm
  • Buzz 2.0
  • Chris/Akuma
  • Cliff Rhodes
  • Clumsy Twirler
  • Cool Relax
  • Cyberkenny
  • dharmabums.net
  • geek slut
  • Hugo
  • Incognito in Atlanta
  • In The Gutter
  • Mezack
  • a Queer Life
  • redPoy
  • Room Sixteen
  • Rugger Johnny
  • Sissy Spacechik
  • Sparky James
  • South of Bloor

  • Free Guestbook from Bravenet
    powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
    Vote for this site at Freedom Forum